Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Great Find




I am by no means a health expert. Period. However, the more time goes on the more I find I'm interested in learning how to be healthier. So much so, that I think I have finally decided on what to do for a major! I'm thinking Community Health Education for the moment, but it still remains to be seen. Anyway, I happened across the website MyPyramid.gov. It is excellent! You can personalize your pyramid based on your activity level, age, weight, and height. It tells you exactly what servings you should have for which foods for your whole week. And when I investigated further, I even found a lot of information for each of the food groups about what exactly a serving size is, tips for incorporating them into your diet, etc.


The reason I really like this is because it's a guidline for anyone. I've thought for a long time that the basic food pyramid is really the best you can get when it comes to a diet. I'm no fan of all these extreme diets you hear about (Atkins, HCG, etc). It's all about balance and moderation people! So if you have a chance, check the website out here. Please forgive the soapbox moment, I don't do this kind of thing often because I don't like to be preachy. I just thought I'd throw it out there for whoever might be interested!

2 comments:

lauren and ryan said...

yay, an update. and a good one! thanks for the info. i definitely need it! see ya in a couple days!

Yum Yucky said...

I really REALLY need to get with it. I'm still thinking "the 4 food groups". Ack! This is 2010, not 1989.