Wednesday, June 20, 2012

New York, New York

For a graduation present to myself, I decided to go back to New York.  My wonderful sister Kelly accompanied Sophie and I, for which I was so grateful!  Those flights would have been murder without her!  We stayed with my brother and his wife on Long Island and it was a blast.  We were there for about 5 days and had the prefect ratio of relaxing and going, going! 

We were crazy enough to take all three kiddies into the city one day and they were awesome!  We had one child per adult and it was a lot of fun.  While we did have some major "Hey, I don't live here so obviously I don't know what I'm doing" moments, we did survive.  With that said, NYC is definitely not catered to the young'uns cause let's just say, subways and strollers were never meant to be a combo.  I may or may not have shut Sophie's arm in the subway doors, nearly abandoned my sister on the platform, hit Sophie's head on the pole and completely landed on a stranger when the subway train started moving, all within about a one minute increment.  You had to be there :)

One reason we went out when we did was so Lauren and I could run the Brooklyn Half Marathon.  I have never done a half before, but Lauren had done one.  I was pretty excited and it was a good experience.  16,000 runners was a bit large for me, but I'm so glad I did it.  The race started at the Brooklyn Museum and ended on Coney Island; it was really a beautiful course and captured the essence of Brooklyn well.  We did the race with only about 3-4 hours of sleep since we had not quite realized until too late that we would have to leave at 3:45 a.m. in order to make the race on time. We were tired, to say the least.  But we did survive and finished with a time of 1:58, so my goal for finishing under 2 hours was complete. 

Other highlights of the trip included a northern rocky beach on Long Island, Chelsea Market, FAO Schwartz, Central Park, NEWSIES (amazing), Cheesecake Factory, Sophie's Birthday, outdoor BBQs and lots of time visiting.  We will miss you NY!







 Sophie's birthday singing never went very well






 Aren't they the cutest siblings??
 Cute Jane



 Goodbye NY, we will miss you!

No comments: